Day 47: Eureka to Newton

I didn’t sleep well that night at the Eureka park. The sound of water from the water park next to the pavilion made me think it was raining the whole night. Wolfgang and I got up after the sunrise. I headed over to a convenience store first since I finished packing before Wolfgang. I had two hot dogs and a cup of coffee for breakfast. Wolfgang showed up shortly as I was finishing my meal. After we parted, I headed west, then north, for 35 miles to Cassoday.

I can see for miles

Cassoday has a Country Store. Since it’s Memorial Day, the kitchen will close at noon. Luckily, I arrived at 11 AM. The only thing they have to offer are cheeseburgers, so I ordered one with some fries.

Cassoday is the only stop on the way to Newton. From there I have to ride another 38 miles. I passed by some oil tankers and oil rigs. Other than that, the landscape was sort of monotonous with flat greenery of cornfields. I saw another cyclist from the opposite way. Lee is going from Denver, Colorado, to Madison, Wisconsin, then maybe going to the New England area. I was glad to see someone after so many miles of loneliness.

Oil rigs

Lee, heading to Wisconsin

On the outskirts of Newton, I went to Braums Ice Cream Store and got a double scoop of ice cream cone to cool me off. It was a delight. I thought about Crispin and how he would have enjoyed it, too. Through text messages, I learned Crispin has arrived at his brother’s place in Iowa and will be staying there for a few days before heading back east.

Just what I needed

After the ice cream, I rode into town. I had to stop by the Newton Bike Shop since I heard great things about it, including its bike hostel. But the store was closed due to Memorial Day.

Janet, my Warmshowers host, lives only a block from the bike shop. I arrived around 4 PM. Janet and her husband, Orvin, live in a big Victorian house that’s on the national register. We talked for awhile before I was shown the sleeping area. I’m so glad that I’ll be sleeping in a bed again!

After taking a shower and eating two burgers and a hotdog, I was invited to attend a baseball game where Ivan, Janet and Orvin’s son, will be playing. It’ll be my first time as a sports spectator since I have never been to a sporting event. During the game, I met Janet and Orvin’s other son, John, who showed up later. Ivan’s team won by a big margin in the end.

Ivan's baseball game

When we came back home I was tried, having rode over 74 miles in a day. I went to bed at 10 PM. This morning, I awoke at 5. Today’s ride will be a short one, less than 50 miles to Nickerson. I was thinking of doing 100 miles one of these days, but the weather is just too hot.

Janet and Orvin's house

Orvin and Janet