Day 6: York to Hunt Valley, MD

This morning I got up around 7:30. Jane was already up making coffee and breakfast. After Paul and Tim woke up I took the opportunity to transfer my photos to Paul’s computer. Then we all ate sausage, eggs, and biscuits. They served as the fuel for much of the morning ride. Paul will ride with Tim to Lancaster. I will go continue to go south on the Heritage Rail Trail all the way to Maryland.

Paul, Jane, Tim

I was riding on the trail for most of the day. When I was parking my bike to take a photo, the bike fell and the clip for the GPS case broke. Luckily, today was just riding on the trail and the GPS wasn’t needed much.

I stopped by the bike shop in New Freedom, a town along the trail, to see if I can buy another case. They didn’t have any cases left. I decided to have some lunch in town and the only restaurant that was open was one called Paesano’s. I had some chicken wings with mango habanero sauce. They were pretty good.

A section of the Heritage Rail Trail

Another section of the trail

I saw some cool things along the trail, such as The Gnome Hill made of garden gnomes that someone had collected. The scenery on the trail was nice and I had a relaxed ride. It was a little chilly though, in the low 40s. Nonetheless, the cold temperature didn’t make me sweat and I was able to do a little over 42 miles today.

Big bikes

Roadside sculptures

Gnome Hill

At the end of the trail is Hunt Valley/Ashland/Cockeysville. I don't really know which name the town actually uses. I ate some fake Double Cooked Pork at a Chinese takeout restaurant. It was not the authentic dish at all.

I found a bike shop called Bicycle Connection on my phone and it was 1.3 miles away on a main road. I had to walk my bike on the skinny sidewalk that sometimes became nonexistent. I picked out a GPS case for about $32. When I was attaching the case on my bike, I cut my finger when I was folding the pocket knife. Fortunately, I had prepared a first aid kit and band-aid myself.

From the bike shop I walked my bike back. I decided to try my luck at finding a place to camp by asking the fire department if I can camp there. The station is actually called Cockeysville Volunteer Fire Company. The chief said yes so I set up my tent behind the building.

First time camping

It drizzled a little and it’s a bit windy. The temperature tonight will drop to the mid 30’s. I planned to sleep with my clothes on so I don’t catch a cold. It’s only a little past 8:15 PM, but I'm going to call it a night.